The Dream League Forum
In order to post in and view most of the forum, you will have to login. So please join us ^_^

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Dream League Forum
In order to post in and view most of the forum, you will have to login. So please join us ^_^
The Dream League Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a place to dream, and show the world how awesome you really are

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Japanese Language Learners Club

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Eevee The Japanese Language Learners Club Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

The Japanese Language Learners Club

にほんご     の    がくしゅうしゃ    の    くらぶ    
bom
Suspect Are you...
Interested in speaking or reading Japanese?
[center]
 Studying JP, but have questions?
 In need of someone to help you translate something?
 Planning a trip to Japan?
                           ...If you can answer YES to any of these Q's, consider joining!!

会員 / Members  Basketball

競争 / Contests
- Haiku battle
- Best translation
- Speed translating
- Manga page translating
- anime short translation

The JLLC Join Request Form:
Tell us why you're interested in joining
:
How well do you speak/listen to Japanese?: [none, beginner, intermediate, advanced, native, other]
How well do you read/write Japanese?: [none, beginner, intermediate, advanced, native, other]

Last edited by Clover on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 7 times in total

http://www.sweetcharm.net

2Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

Study Online Dictionaries
Weblio ~Takes some getting used to with all the search options, but it is a more comprehensive/native style of a dictionary.
Renshuu  ~The guy who owns this site is really responsive, if you ever want to suggest additions/corrections. They even have their own forum and practice games and shizz.
Kanji Draw Search ~sometimes you don't know how to look up a kanji via radical...we aren't all that awesome. As long as you know basic stroke order rules, you should be able to search here! It also gives you suggestions as you are writing, which is helpful.

Whip Commonly Used Words (words you might see us toss around)
Arigatou - Thank you
Sensei - Teacher or Professor/Person with more experience/Person older than you
Hai - Yes
Iie - No
Daijoubu - Okay/It's alright
Nihongo - Japanese Language
Nihon - Japan
Jisho - Dictionary
Kotoba - Word/Phrase
Tabemono - Food

Hero  Study Resources
Quizlet - A great online flash card app. Has leader boards, and various ways you can study. Perfect for gamifying your study session!!!
I made quite a few JP related flash card sets, if anyone would like to try (if you make one, I'll add it to the list)

Last edited by Clover on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:15 pm; edited 6 times in total

3Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:49 pm

boy from asension

boy from asension
Knight
Knight

入りたいしかし私の文法は下手です。。。 Crying or Very sad
よろしく!

4Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

alucinor

alucinor
Trainer
Trainer

I just started learning last weekend, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'd like to join! I don't uh, know how to say that in Japanese though.

I recently traded 20 Magic the Gathering Boosterpacks for 20 Japanese ones. I'm planning on translating all the cards in a pack, and as a reward opening the next one. It's non-standard set, so they're not really valuable cards, but it can be a fun way to improve my reading skills.

https://www.wispymouse.net

5Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

boy from asension wrote:入りたいしかし私の文法は下手です。。。 Crying or Very sad
よろしく!

ぼくの文法もめちゃくちゃですけど、一緒に大丈夫でしょうね!(笑)
勉強しましょう! BFA入って良かった!

alucinor wrote:I just started learning last weekend, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'd like to join! I don't uh, know how to say that in Japanese though.

I recently traded 20 Magic the Gathering Boosterpacks for 20 Japanese ones. I'm planning on translating all the cards in a pack, and as a reward opening the next one. It's non-standard set, so they're not really valuable cards, but it can be a fun way to improve my reading skills.

Welcome! (youkoso)
I actually really enjoy fast-translating Japanese Pokemon cards before they are released, because you get many of the same words popping up over and over (deck, hand, shuffle, flip a coin, opponent, etc...) and I imagine it would be similar for MtG cards too! I'd love to help you get started with that  Cool

Feel free to link them here, and I can try and help out with phrasing. Might be a BIT harder for me though, since I don't know ALL the rules of magic XD just a base understanding lol!!

6Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:40 am

SharlottCrain

SharlottCrain
Adoptable Mod

私も入りたーい!みんなよろしくね〜
漢字はまだまだ下手だから、大学で中国語の勉強はじめた~
「中国語で漢字を少し知っているので、日本語は学ぶのが楽だ」って思った
けど、日本語と比べて中国語は超難しいと思う... もう一年間中国語を勉強したのに、全然分かんない...
何をしてしまったんだろう (笑)

7Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

SharlottCrain wrote:私も入りたーい!みんなよろしくね〜
何をしてしまったんだろう (笑)

皆の漢字は下手で~す大丈夫、、、
日本語の漢字に比べって中国語の漢字がもっと難しそうと思う。
しかし、漢字を見る時多分意味が少し分かるでしょうね!

今、何の事が勉強してる?一人で習ってる?

8Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:02 pm

alucinor

alucinor
Trainer
Trainer

Adventures in Translation!

One of the cards I opened was "Scrapyard Mongrel". Its Japanese Translation is here, while its original English text is here. I didn't have the English open while working on it.

Names have Furigana on them, so I can at least try to pronounce them. It's really, really hard to see on the website, because the text is so small, but I can sort of make it out on paper. I think this one comes out to "kuzutetsu jou no jisshyuken"? Turns out "ken" is one way to say a kind of dog, dunno about the rest of the name. Its type line is "kuriichaa - (something) ken". In English it's "Hound", but I couldn't figure out what that Kanji is. Some type lines are "Kuriicha" (creature), "sooserii" (sorcery), "enchanto" (enchantment), and "oora" (aura).

Its text blob has a lot, but most of that is in parenthesis. If I ignore the parenthesis I can try to translate, and if I still don't know what mechanic that is I can try to figure it out from the reminder text. One thing that Magic does is reference its own name on the card a lot, so most of the Kanji there is already translated from earlier. Most designers can replace the card name with "~" or "CARDNAME" to make it easier on themselves.

I translated it all one crazy long word, because there are no spaces in Japanese, but once I recognized a few words the card made sense. Some of the word are "kontoro" (control), "aateefakuto" (artifact), and "tounpuri" (trample). I guess that "anataga" is some particle meaning "as long as", since that's standard magic phrasing, and there's a +2/+0 on the card (luckily written in actual numbers). So the card is something about controlling artifacts and having +2/+0 and trample, which turned out to be the entire card!

This is a common, so the text is pretty straightforward. I had some crazy "goburin" (goblin) card with lots of text and Kanji, so I'll hold off on that one. I did figure out this set of kanji means "draw a card", so I'll probably see that a lot! (枚引く)

It's a lot of fun, although I still don't have a perfect grasp of the alphabets, so it took a lot of chart-searching.

9Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:00 pm

boy from asension

boy from asension
Knight
Knight

ええ…
皆の日本語はとてもすごい!
一人で習っているから文章は作っていてにくいです。漢字習うは楽しいと思うでも文法はくやしいです。多分僕は変ですね~。

10Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 am

SharlottCrain

SharlottCrain
Adoptable Mod

Clover wrote:
SharlottCrain wrote:私も入りたーい!みんなよろしくね〜
何をしてしまったんだろう (笑)

皆の漢字は下手で~す大丈夫、、、
日本語の漢字に比べって中国語の漢字がもっと難しそうと思う。
しかし、漢字を見る時多分意味が少し分かるでしょうね!

今、何の事が勉強してる?一人で習ってる?

そうそう、漢字を見る時英語で意味が分かる!でも日本語でとか中国語で読むことが出来ない (笑)

私の専攻は日本語で国際政治が副専攻だよ Very Happy
いやいや一人じゃない、クラスで習っている~ レベルは...大学3年生..?

11Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

SharlottCrain wrote:そうそう、漢字を見る時英語で意味が分かる!でも日本語でとか中国語で読むことが出来ない (笑)

私の専攻は日本語で国際政治が副専攻だよ Very Happy
いやいや一人じゃない、クラスで習っている~ レベルは...大学3年生..?

いいな~
どちらの本を使うの?
私はGenkiとびらを使いました。多分他の本も使いましたけど、今思い出せない Rolling Eyes

12Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:52 pm

boy from asension

boy from asension
Knight
Knight

(英語も書いていたので多分このメッセージの文法は間違った。)

皆、どうして日本語はならっていますですか?
私は日本に地質学で勤めたいでも私の夢は唯一と思うです。そういえば、毎日、私は復習しましたでも文法と発音は難しいでも皆の文法と発音は素晴らしいだから私は頑張っている。皆と話したい。

(I'll write this in English as well as I think this messages' grammar is probably wrong.)

Everyone, why are you learning Japanese?
I want to work on Geology in Japan, but I think that my dream is probably unique. Come to think of it everyday, I study but grammar and pronunciation are difficult, but everyone has super grammar and pronunciation therefore I will try my best. I want (hope) to talk with everyone (in Japanese).

13Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:37 pm

alucinor

alucinor
Trainer
Trainer

I want to learn how to play Japanese games the year before they get translated officially and released in to English. Etrian Odyssey V took a year and then some!

14Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:58 am

SharlottCrain

SharlottCrain
Adoptable Mod

Clover wrote:いいな~
どちらの本を使うの?
私はGenkiとびらを使いました。多分他の本も使いましたけど、今思い出せない Rolling Eyes

アっ、私も!去年Genki 2を使った~ 今日本語中級J501 -中級から上級へ- を使っている。

boy from asension wrote: Everyone, why are you learning Japanese?
I want to work on Geology in Japan, but I think that my dream is probably unique.
That's a respectable dream you have there! My reasoning isn't that special haha

I started learning Japanese when I was 12, there was a language program at my highschool (or middle school? For you Americans) where it was compulsory for every student to study a language for at least 3 years.
I had French, Italian and Japanese to choose from and the other 2 didn't seem to interest me. Once my 3 years was up, I decided to continue it until the end of highschool and even when I graduated I thought it would be a waste to throw away 6 years of study so I thought I'd study it in college as well. It's been a good 7.5 years so far! But I have no idea what I'd do with this skill in the future hahaha

15Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:07 am

Cindergh

Cindergh
Archer
Archer

I'd like to join the club please!

16Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

Cindergh wrote:I'd like to join the club please!
I added you ^_^
What is your current level of Japanese? (none, beginner, intermediate, advanced, native...etc?)

17Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Clover

Clover
Admin
Admin

Translation sentence practice!:
世の中の役に立ちたいとか思う時は大抵弱ってる時

Try breaking down the sentence, see what you can make of it! Post your best translation. This is taken from a native speaker's tumblr that I randomly decided to follow one day because they seemed to post interesting/philosophical quotes Razz

SPOILER - how I went about translating this sentence!

Spoiler:

18Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 am

boy from asension

boy from asension
Knight
Knight

Mmm, tumblr, my favourite website...  Razz

I'll add in hiragana just so that people who can't read kanji yet can give it a try as well :3

よのなか の やくにたちたい とか おもうとき は たいてい よわってるとき。

I'll highlight in blue words that I don't know and aren't in N3. I'll highlight in green words that I don't know yet, but are in N3. I'll highlight in red words that I do know, but couldn't remember. (Except 大抵 for which I knew the word, but had never seen it written in kanji before D:) This way no-one will think that my skills are better than they are xD

世の中の役に立ちたいとか思う時は大抵弱ってる時。

My working:

19Eevee Re: The Japanese Language Learners Club Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Cindergh

Cindergh
Archer
Archer

Clover wrote:
Cindergh wrote:I'd like to join the club please!
I added you ^_^
What is your current level of Japanese? (none, beginner, intermediate, advanced, native...etc?)

Sorry for the late reply! affraid I would say intermediate? I studied Japanese in highschool for 6 years but since I graduated I haven't continued learning (though I hope I can find the time to soon). My Japanese has fallen off a bit since but with some practice I can get up to scratch again Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum